Town of Berryville Town of Berryville Town of Berryville Town of Berryville
Town of Berryville Town of Berryville Town of Berryville Town of BerryvilleHomeAbout Berryville
RESIDENTS BUSINESSES VISITORS GOVERNMENT
SEARCH
About Berryville


Berryville serves as the center of commercial, residential, institutional, and industrial activity for Clarke County.

Both the Town and County are committed to preserving and enhancing Berryville’s historic downtown and maintaining Clarke County’s exquisite countryside. Preservation of our community’s charming character and natural beauty has required extraordinary effort and a high level of cooperation between the Town and County.

    * LOCATION: 60 Miles west of Washington, D.C. in Clarke County, Virginia at the junction of U.S. Route 340 and V.A. Route 7
    * CHARTERED: January 15, 1798
    * POPULATION: 4,185 (2010 U.S. Census)


History

The land at the intersection of the Winchester Turnpike and Charlestown Road which is now the location of the Town of Berryville was first granted by the Crown to Captain Isaac Pennington in 1734. George Washington surveyed the parcel on October 23, 1750. In 1754 Pennington sold it to Colonel John Hite.

According to legend, Daniel Morgan would engage in combat with young toughs at the intersection of the Winchester Turnpike and Charlestown Road , having first piled large stones nearby to use as ammunition. Because of this story, and a rowdy tavern nearby, the area was first given the informal name of "Battle Town".

John Hite sold the tract in 1765 to his son-in-law, Major Charles Smith. Smith named his estate "Battle Town", and on it built a clapboard homestead in place of the tavern, which still stands on Main Street and is now known as "the Nook".

Daniel Morgan returned to the area after distinguishing himself in the Revolution, living at Saratoga, and briefly at Soldier's Rest. He was one of the frequent (and reputedly most quarrelsome) patrons of the new tavern (where now stands the Battletown Inn).

Major Smith's son, John Smith, sold 20 acres in 1797 of the parcel to Benjamin Berry and Sarah (Berry) Stribling, who divided it into lots for a town. It was established as the town of Berryville on January 15, 1798.




Back to top
Back
Printer-friendly version

Home  |  About Berryville  |  Privacy Policy  |  Site Map  |  Contact Us
© 2014  Town of Berryville - 101 Chalmers Court, Suite A - Berryville, Virginia 22611
(540) 955-1099