Town Dog Ordinances
Responsible pet ownership makes for a safer community. The Town of Berryville has specific ordinances which all dog owners must follow:
- No household may keep or maintain more than FOUR dogs over the age of four months (sec 4-2).
- No dog may run at large within Town limits (sec 4-21).
- All dog owners are required to obtain and display a license issued by Clarke County upon their dog (sec 4-22, 4-23).
- All dogs are required to be on a leash or otherwise confined to their property (sec 4-24).
- It is unlawful to allow dogs to defecate upon public property and not remove waste (sec 4-26).
- Never run from a dog, they instinctively want to chase.
- Don't scream; speak calmly and firmly.
- Face the dog at all times, but do not stare.
- Never leave small children unsupervised around a dog.
- Check fencing regularly to ensure dog remains within your property area.
- Approximately 4.7 million Americans are bitten by dogs each year.
- Small children and the elderly are the most frequent victims
- Nearly 25% of those bitten require medical attention.
- Most frequently, dog bites occur in the homes of the victim's family or friends.